Tuesday 20 September 2016

Trip to Turku and Helsinki

Trip to southern Finland was as inspiring as I had hoped. It included good food, beautiful historical buildings, museums, modern art, lots of wandering around the cities and shopping. I took lots of pictures and it took a little time to organize them. I made these collages to put all the pictures I wanted to show in a compact form so that you don´t need to scroll tens of big pictures and wait them to download. Most of the pictures are from Turku.
Clockwise from left: Turku Art Museum, interesting building, beautiful gate, Turku Cathedral.
Beautiful shops near the Town Hall.
Clockwise from left: Hotel Torni in Helsinki, St. John´s Church in Helsinki, Beautiful corner in Helsinki,  Cafe at Turku Marketplace, Hotel Börs, Turku Cathedral, Museum Aboa Vetus & Ars Nova, Detail, Cathedral park, cute alley, Turku Cathedral, River view, Turku Art Museum, Pharmacy Museum and Qwensel House, View from Art Museum, Sunflower statue at Forum Marinum Maritime Centre.
Picture from Wäinö Aaltonen modern art museum.
Turku Castle that dates back to medieval times. A place to visit for Game of Thrones nerds :)
Details from Turku.
Turku Marketplace.

Details from Turku: Clock, Decorated building, Fish Statue in the River, Samppalinna summer outdoor theater. 
Pictures from Helsinki: Pedestrian street near Railway Station, Kiasma museum of modern art, street view. 

I went to Turku via Helsinki so that I get to spend two days in Helsinki and three days in Turku. I visited lots of museums: Kiasma in Helsinki, Wäinö Aaltonen, Aboa Vetus & Ars Nova, Turku Art Museum, Turku Castle and Forum Marinum in Turku. I really love old buildings because they are so rare here in Lapland where most of the buildings are quite new (Lapland was burnt in 1945 war). 

I also went shopping home decoration stuff, craft supplies, international magazines and clothes. I got lots of color inspiration from shops and museums to my projects for the autumn and winter. Turku Castle made me feel like I would have visited Game of Thrones scene: dungeons, narrow corridors and decorative windows.

Food was excellent. I ate very good vegetarian food in Turku market hall and tasty ice cream in various places.

After the week it was nice to be back home, unpack the luggage and start planning new projects. Oriental blues, plants, mosaic, lanterns, coziness and vintage elements are the themes for this Autumn/ Winter. 

Sannu

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments!