Monday 14 August 2017

Decorate Rattan 1. Colorful Coasters


It is weird how rattan keeps it's appeal in home decor and trend seems still current after what is over a year. I like the natural palette but because I can't keep my hands off from colors I have taken a needle, brush and some bright colors to add a more bohemian vibe to my thrift store finds. I also took a look in to my cabinets to find small extra decor to mix with color. You know how boxes somehow fill with ribbons, shells, stones, beads, buttons.. even though you would not intentionally collect those things :D Small DIY painting and embroidering projects are a good chance to forget week's to do lists and let yourself fly on creative clouds. This week I am going to share three easy DIY projects on how to decorate plain rattan objects. You might not be able to find exactly same kind of baskets or mug coasters, but these ideas can be adjusted in what ever small rattan object you have in hand. Today I will show you how to create bohemian vibe to cheap rattan coasters.

Who would´t like to have a little bit of colorful bohemian style to brighten up coffee table or everyday meal? I found these rattan mug coasters very cheap, 6 for 50 cents. Plain beige rattan offers a good chance to play with color. First I thought about painting stripes or flowers to these but I came to second thoughts. Because I make quilts I always have embroidery yarn in storage. To this project I chose six colors to embroider a simple sun  pattern.

What you will need is simple: 
-coasters
-embroidery yarn (left overs are perfect for this project!)
- sharp needle
-scissors


And the best part, only technique you need to know is how to make chain stitch! I took these two pictures so you can remember how it is done. If you need a more detailed instructions, you can google it. But it is one of the easiest stitches when you find out how it is done.


Step 1. Take yarn to the needle and make a small knot to the end. *Come through from the backside to the front. Turn back to the backside near the point you just came. Pull yarn and leave a little loop to the front side.


Step 2. Move straight few millimeters and come to the front and through the loop you left. Pull the yarn and you have a first chain*. Repeat** making chain stripes from the outer circle to the middle with different colors. Make about eleven or twelve stripes.


So simple that you can embroider these while listening to radio or audio book. I have been going through BBC Proms concerts as I have a goal to listen all that come to Finnish radio. This is also easy project to carry in a purse or backpack in case you know you have some spare time to make stitch or two. 



Tomorrow I will post a new small rattan DIY project. While waiting for that you can read about rattan headboard makeover or this easy basket decoration idea. In case you are in embroidering mood this embroidered lampshade project might be for you :)

***

Last week I was on a small trip to Southern Finland to meet a good friend. I had forgotten how close towns are in Southern Finland, I got to see three in four days. Here distances are bigger and it is quite rarely that I make a day trip. The week was full of inspiration as you can imagine when seeing new places, shops and museums (I love going to museums). Also Lahti is a great place for thrifters! Huge thrift stores to make great finds. Price level is reasonable and it is possible to make great finds. These coasters are from that trip. I also found Finnish glass and ceramics in a very good price. I should actually take a picture to my Instagram this week about what I found in case you are interested. 

Now that summer's trips are behind it has been time to schedule Autumn. I cannot believe that it is time to talk about Autumn, but I heard from news that last week some kids already started school after summer holidays. August is still summer but September is syyskuu, freely autumn month, in Finnish so I have to admit that the season is changing. A good thing is that nights are darker so I get to sleep better and it is easier to keep some rhythm in life :P. I might get in to better posting schedule now that the hot summer days don´t keep me outdoors all day long. I also like the darker evenings as it gives a healthy break to sit down, read a book or watch a movie.

Today I have had a very good feeling about things and this Autumn season. I have wanted to learn more about digital content creation's technical side and now I have found a way to take part in some lectures. I have to say, now that I am older (late twenties) my attitude towards studying has changed. As a teen and early twenties I used to think studying as a duty. Now I am just eager to learn more about things that really interest me to become better in what I want to do. 

Every Monday is a new start! Great week to you all!

Sannu

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments!