Tuesday 19 September 2017

Gluten Free Pumpkin Bread and Breakfast Buns


Hello and Happy Lifestyle Tuesday! Yesterday evening I had a real creative night shift. I love warm baked goods on cold and windy autumn days and yesterday evening was just like that. On weekend I searched after perfect pumpkin bread recipe and ended up making an own experiment. It turned out great and disappeared quicker than I got proper pictures. Yesterday I decided to bake another pumpkin cake because I had half of the pumpkin puree left. 


This gluten free pumpkin bread is spicy, moist and just delicious! I used home made pumpkin puree, I baked pumpkin slices in 175 Celsius degrees until soft, took off the peels and mashed with hand mixer. I used butternut squash and it made puree for two breads. Baking with pumpkin is quite new thing to me. I tried pumpkin bread first time last year. When I was a kid pumpkin was familiar mainly from pumpkin pickles. I have to say I prefer my pumpkins in bread, cake and oven veggies. Pumpkin spice mix reminds me of more familiar gingerbread spice. In Finnish gingerbread mix there is cinnamon, cloves, ginger and sour orange. So to season the bread I used these spices. Because this time of the year stores don't sell gingerbread mix I had to buy spices separately. I like the idea of a pumpkin season with all it's spices. It is still long wait until Christmas treats and one needs something fun to the middle of the autumn season.

Because the pumpkin bread is so sweet I also wanted to bake something savory. Inspired by gluten free flour options and how well they worked in pumpkin bread I decided to make experiments with traditional breakfast bun recipe. I had bought lemon pesto :P and it needs some white bread as companion. I added some minced spinach from the freezer to get beautiful color. I love the earthy look of these buns and they worked great with pesto. You could also fill these with butter, cheese and veggies. 


1/2 L Water
14 g Dry Yeast
1 1/2 tsp Salt
4 dl Oat flour (gluten free)
2 dl Teff flour
3 dl Potato Flour
75 g Minced Spinach
1 tbsp Olive oil

1. Mix together dry yeast and 2 dl oat flour. Add warm (not hot) water and salt. Mix properly.
2. Start adding flour little by little. First add 2 dl teff flour. Add minced spinach. Then 1 dl at time potato and oat flour. Mix in olive oil.
3. Let the mix rest for few minutes. 
4. Put little bit of potato flour to a bowl. Drop one bun's amount of pastry to the potato flour and roll. Take the pastry lump to your hands and mold. Put the buns to a baking tray on a baking parchment.
5. Let the buns double their size. Then bake in preheated oven in 225 Celsius degrees about ten minutes or until the buns are firm and properly baked.
6. Serve with butter and veggies or lemon pesto. 


1 1/2 dl Oat flour (gluten free)
1 dl Teff flour
1/2 dl Potato flour
1 tsp Baking Soda
1/2 tsp Salt
1/2 tsp Cinnamon
1/2 tsp Ground Cloves
1/2 tsp Ground Sour Orange
1 tsp Ginger
1/2 tsp Black Pepper
2 dl Sugar
2 1/2 dl Pumpkin puree
1/2 dl Water
2 tbsp Brown Syrup
120 g Melted Butter
2 Eggs

1. Preheat oven to 175 Celsius degrees. 
2. Flour a baking mold with butter and oat flour.
3. Mix together flours, baking soda, salt and spices. Add sugar and mix properly.


4. Add pumpkin puree and water. Mix properly.
5. Mix in brown syrup and melted butter (be sure the butter isn't too hot).
6. Break the eggs to separate bowl and stir with fork so the mix is even. Mix in to the rest of ingredients.


7. Pour the dough to the baking mold. Bake in 175 Celsius degrees for about 45 minutes. Try with skewer that the middle of the cake has been baked properly.
8. Let the cake rest for a while and then take off from the mold.



There is nothing like the scent coming from the oven! Savory buns with hot chocolate or evening tea and a slice of pumpkin cake. It is cozy to be at home and cook, craft, light candles and read. Rainy and windy autumn weathers are actually as good and needed as warm summer days, don't you think?

Friday will be DIY day again, so until that Have a Great Week my Friends!

Sannu

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments!