Friday 20 October 2017

Quilting Tutorial: Bohemian October

I took my autumn pictures just in time this week. Today when I woke up there was little bit of snow on the ground and trees were white. Sunshine and pure white scenery have given so much energy for this day and coming weekend. Today's quilted pillow tutorial that has deeper blue and purple hues doesn't feel too wintry at all. This is the second pillow quilting tutorial in this month. I hope you like quilting and sewing. I am so enthusiastic about making pillows and other small quilting projects. Now that winter is really coming, or arrived already, cozy pillows and blankets are the best way to decorate at home. 

This technique to quilt a block is easy. I have put quite many pictures of the process because I believe pictures tell more than words when it comes to crafts. I have made more detailed instruction on how to make the back piece to my previous quilting tutorial, so now I will mainly focus on making this block. Two main things you should remember when quilting are the 0,75 cm sewing allowance and that always after sewing iron the seams open before moving to second step. More tutorials, tips and inspiration on my previous quilting posts. The most interesting part for this simple quilted pillow comes from the unusual shape and fun tassels that finish the bohemian look.








You will need:
Cotton fabric in four colors
Sewing thread
Embroidery yarn
Batting
Cotton fabric for batting
Back fabric
Woolen yarn for tassels

Quilting equipment:
Ruler
Cutting mat
Rotary cutter
Sewing machine
Needles
Iron
Embroidery hoop
Scissors


Step 1. Cut 4 cm stripes from all four fabrics. Cut first about 4 stripes from each one (you will need more but it is easier to work with less at a time).



Step 2. Sew stripes together. Remember to keep same order in all stripe groups.


Step 3. Now you can choose. I preferred to sew these groups together to get a longer string. It will save material because the next step is to cut triangles with 45 degree corner. However you will have extra seams visible on your blocks. If you want to avoid that don't attach groups together but use shorter strings.




Step 4. Cut triangles with 45 degree angle. Cutting mats vary, but I had angles ready drawn on my mat so it was easy to follow the line and cut.



Step 5. Now you have two kinds of triangles that make two kinds of blocks. Collect the blocks and sew together.


When you sew parts together look that the stripes meet each other.


Make more blocks to have all parts for the pillow.


Step 6. Now sew blocks together as shown on the pictures. First sew blocks together to make three lines.


Then sew lines together.


Step 7. All parts sewn together. Now it is time to do the batting. Put cotton fabric to the bottom, then batting and quilt on the top of all. Pin layers together.


Step 8. Sew layers together by hand before you start embroidering.


Embroider the layers together with beautiful decorative stitches. Use embroidery hoop to make the work easier.


Step 9. Cut off the extra batting and make the back piece. See tutorial from here!




When the back piece is ready cut off the extra corners.


Step 10. Make simple tassels from woolen yarn. Attach the tassels, hide the yarn end inside the tassel. Put a pillow inside the pillowcase. I sew a basic pillow with the same shape using all batting leftovers I have collected during the years of quilting.


This cute bohemian style pillow goes well with faux fur pillow and luxurious quilt I have bought from interior decor shop one year ago. 




Hope you find this tutorial both helpful and inspiring. If so, please share on social media and /or tell friends on a coffee table. All your comments here on my blog and on social media warm my heart <3 If you got something on your mind you would like me to write about do not hesitate to leave a comment!

Have a wonderful weekend my friends!  I am not saying winter weekend because I heard on instagram comments today that some have a summer, some enjoy autumn :D 

Sannu

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments!